The MACHS 2019 Mural Festival

Back to Article
Back to Article

The MACHS 2019 Mural Festival

Shepard Fairey's Maya Angelou Mural, featured on the front wall of the school's entrance.

Photo Courtesy David DLugo

Photo Courtesy David DLugo

Photo Courtesy David DLugo

Henry Cordero, Mellanye Salazar, and Raul Tobon, Reporters

Branded arts is proud to announce the Dr. Maya Angelou Community High School Mural Festival. Taking place at the Dr.Maya Angelou Community High School Campus, the festival officially took place May 13 through May 18. The festival held 8 days full of excitement and joy for the community. This was the largest Scholastic Mural Exhibition in the nation.

Shepard Fairey and 30 other muralist filled up the school’s formerly boring walls with inspirational murals that represent our school and community. There are multiple murals painted all over the school walls, both on and off campus. The largest mural, featuring Maya Angelou in the artist’s classic style, was designed and painted by Shepard Fairey. The school is full of murals by various artists that inspire students to rise above and feel empowered.

Photo Courtesy David DLugo
Shepard Fairey’s Maya Angelou Mural, featured on the front wall of the school’s entrance.

On Saturday May 18, MACHS opened its campus up to the public for a Grand Reception. This reception featured delicious food from local vendors, interviews with various individuals of note, and a music performance by famous artist Miguel. Students, teachers, and community members were able to view the murals and student art in a gallery held in the gym. There was also a silent auction with art donated by students, muralists, and local artists. The proceeds went directly to support the arts program at MACHS.

The progress of making the mural festival into a reality was worth the wait. Many students, teachers and Staff members did so much to make this amazing and historical event a reality. One of Mr. Guzman’s main reasons to have the mural festival at our school was because our students needed a stronger sense of culture and identity. ”The students were screaming out–not verbally, not actually with their voice but with their actions–’who are we?’” In other words, he believed that the students need to know who they are, their place in the community, and how the school represents them.

“The mural festival is a visual representation of who they are in the school,” said Mr. Guzman of the event’s purpose. Brand agreed, leaving this message for students:

“I hope that all of the students enjoyed the festival and the had a good experience interacting with the muralists. As time goes by, I hope that the students will continue to research and follow the careers of the different muralists and presenters. I want all students to know that they can have a successful career in the creative economy if they want to. We are so thankful and grateful to all of the incredible people that worked on this festival with us. None of this would have been possible without the support of the administrators, faculty, and staff at MACHS and SQA. And last but not least, thank you so much to all of the students who spent time and worked on this festival with us! We hope it was an experience that you will never forget!”

The student at MACHS played a big role in this amazing event. They helped paint some of the murals with the artist themselves. They volunteered to make the event more organized and well-planned for our guests, the artists. Groups of students and teachers had been meeting weekly for six months leading up to the event, making sure that everything went smoothly and that the event was well-planned.

A wall near the PE field is dedicated to the students at MACHS. As you can see in the mural below, the Perez Bros depicted several MACHS students standing around lowrider cars. The most prominently featured student in this mural is the skateboarder. His name is Bryson Roberts and he is proud to leave a mark on one of the most historical events that the school had. “I am proud to be on the mural,” said Roberts, a MACHS junior. “It was an honor for me to represent the skating community at our school.”

Photo Courtesy Brayan Ornelas
This mural near the PE field features MACHS students.

Another student who was part of the mural festival was Jonathan Jimenez, a sophomore. “I feel like the murals make our school look really nice and unique. I really did enjoy staying after school to see how the artist painted these murals.” Many other students agreed with Jonathan that being part of the mural festival and seeing the result of the murals on the school walls was an incredible and once-in-a-lifetime experience.

This is a massively historic and significant event for this school and for this community. Many people can see the amazing murals that are all over the school walls while walking or driving by. MACHS students are very grateful to have so many murals on our school walls, and are happy to see the school’s walls full of beautiful murals.

Photo Courtesy David DLugo

Photo Courtesy David DLugo

Photo Courtesy David DLugo

Photo Courtesy David DLugo

Photo Courtesy David DLugo

Photo Courtesy David DLugo

Photo Courtesy David DLugo

Photo Courtesy David DLugo

Photo Courtesy David DLugo

Photo Courtesy David DLugo

Photo Courtesy David DLugo

Photo Courtesy David DLugo

Photo Courtesy David DLugo

Photo Courtesy David DLugo

Photo Courtesy David DLugo

Photo Courtesy David DLugo

Photo Courtesy David DLugo