Would a Later School Start Time Increase Student Success?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Courtesy Alejandro Rivera

Photo Courtesy Alejandro Rivera

Photo Courtesy Alejandro Rivera

Alejandro Rivera and Kevin Espana, Reporters

Pros: School should start later because students that don’t have the chance to get their full 8 hours of sleep can get an opportunity to rest. Studies show that teenagers need more sleep than adults. According to the National Sleep Foundation, “Teens need about 8 to 10 hours of sleep each night to function best.” It could also give students time to study for a test, eat breakfast comfortably, and not feel rushed. This way, students would be better able to focus in class. For example, if a student forgot to study, they would have time in the morning to get work finished. Another example would be that since there are students who have jobs, homework that requires a specific amount of time, and responsibilities at home, they don’t have enough time to rest because of the early school start time at 8 a.m.

Cons: If school started later than 8, it would likely impact the schedules for all schools within the district. Many students would get out of school later in the afternoons, which could cause issues for students who have to work after school. Students who are involved in sports and after school activities would get home much later in the evening. Lastly, students would end up staying up later anyway since they get out of school later, so they would probably get the same amount of sleep as they do now with the 8 a.m. start. The point is that if school starts late it would not increase student success because many students would be exhausted by staying up later.