MACHS Cheerleaders: CIF Champs!

Back to Article
Back to Article

MACHS Cheerleaders: CIF Champs!

Photo Courtesy David D'Lugo

Photo Courtesy David D'Lugo

Photo Courtesy David D'Lugo

Alicia Gaspar, Reporter

On April 27th, 2019, our Wolfpack cheerleaders won CIF Championships, bringing home a Division 4 CIF Championship Plaque. To obtain the plaque, the cheerleaders put on a quality performance to attract the judges and audience. Cheerleader Captain Jennifer Menendez commented, “We brought lots of smiles to the crowd’s faces.” Cheerleader Angela Molina added, “During our performance I screamed positive things to my teammates so we can be less nervous while performing.” Besides the positive things they did during their performance, they also struggled in some areas. “We were really nervous,” admitted Jennifer. “We cared so much about messing up that we weren’t really focused.”

Even after winning CIF Championship, the cheerleaders still believe that they have room for improvement, whether it’s during practices or performances. “During performances, we need to be in sync even when we’re nervous; we need as much confidence as possible,” said Angela. “During practice we need more positivity and we need to uplift each other, even when things get hard.” Jennifer agreed, stating: ”I feel like the team can improve in many ways, like listening and paying attention because everyone gets easily distracted. We also have to start believing in ourselves, and in the team as well.”

The Cheer team’s coach, Coach London Bennett, is very proud of her team and thinks they did their very best. ”I am so proud of my girls,” she gushed. “I believe they did their very best, and I also believe that we can do better.” Coach Bennett thinks that the cheer team does need to improve on certain things as well. “During practice,they would get everything, and hit every beat, but during competition or performances,they would be kind of off,” she said. “They need to overcome their fear of messing up.” Another problem Coach Bennett encountered was attendance during cheer practice. “Some girls wouldn’t really go, even when we needed them the most,” she commented. “They need to show that they are determined.” Other than that, Coach Bennett expressed her pride in the team and excitement over the win. “I am very happy and proud for the things that we accomplished together. My advice to my girls are to have fun but at the same time, maintain and gain.” Coach Bennett and the team are already looking forward to next year and hope to improve even more.

Photo Courtesy David D’Lugo

Photo Courtesy David D’Lugo

Photo Courtesy David D’Lugo

Photo Courtesy David D’Lugo
The Cheer Team poses outside of Birmingham High School for the All City Showcase in February.